Dear RCF Students and Parents,
Welcome to our Ninth Annual Read-a-thon!
During these days of virtual learning, social distancing, and Zoom, many of our favorite activities have been put on hold. Thankfully, the opportunity to read books is unaffected, and the Read-a-Thon can go on! It will kick off on November 18th and will run until December 4th.
We are taking the reading logs and fundraising completely online this year!
How it Works
- Parents set up an online Read-a-thon account at the Read-a-thon Webpage to track minutes and seek donations. (It takes less than 10 minutes to complete. If you set up an account last year, you just have to activate it)!
- Students and parents go over the Reading Oath and “sign” your names to it.
- Students READ, READ, READ from November 18th to December 4th, and track their minutes and books on their own Read-a-thon Webpage.
- Students secure pledges from friends and family via simple emails sent through their own Read-a-thon Webpage.
- Students who read and raise funds get prizes! RCFES PTA gets money to support important work like educational software and teacher trainings.
November 14th : Read-a-thon info distributed.
November 18th : Read-a-thon starts!!!
December 4th : Read-a-thon ends.
December 7th : Reading Log and Reading Oath must be complete!
December 11th : Pledges must be paid. You don’t have to raise money, but every dime helps!!
December 18th : Winners announced and prizes distributed.
What Reading Counts
- Reading outside of school time. (Homework reading counts! Reading on Zoom breaks counts!)
- Being read to by other people.
- Reading aloud to other people (or animals – real or stuffed!). If you read to someone who is also participating in the Read-a-thon, it counts for both of you!
- Reading anything – comic books, magazines, digital books – in any language.
- Reading under your covers at night with a flashlight. (Only if parents allow it!)
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The biggest prize of all is the joy of reading …but real prizes help!
Star Reader: A book of your choice to the top reader in each grade!
Luck-of-the-Draw Readers 1: All those that read above 800 minutes (500 for K & 1st) will be entered into a drawing to win one of 12 gift certificates to the Corner Market’s new Ice Cream Shop, The Scoop Shop (two for each grade level).
Luck-of-the-Draw Readers 2 : All those that read above 1,000 minutes (700 for K & 1st) will be entered into a drawing to win one of two $25 gift certificates to Politics & Prose.
Reader Leaders: Zoom Lunch with Ms. Lowndes (including the food) and Principal for Tiger Time with Ms. Lowndes for two lucky winners that read more than 1500 minutes.
Stay Safe Readers: A unique book-themed face mask for ALL STUDENTS who read more than 1500 minutes (1000 for K & 1st).
Star Fundraiser: A book of your choice to the top fundraiser in each grade!
Stay Safe Fundraisers: Sanitizer keychains for ALL STUDENTS who raise more than $100.
Super School Mystery Surprise: If the school reads a total of 200,000 minutes, the whole school will get a special treat!
***Thanks to Politics & Prose, The Scoop Shop at The Corner Market, and the RCFES Book Fair for the generous donations!***